Christa Deng, Vitam Verbruggen, Grace Hullmann, Gabriel Tyritzis, John Shimizu
Macrophage is one of the infiltrating inflammatory cells and promote breast cancer tumor progression via enhancement of tumor angiogenesis. In this study, we investigated whether sesamin inhibited macrophage-enhanced proangiogenic activity of breast cancer cell linesIn this study we analyzed the pattern of expression of MMP-9 and IL-10 in breast cancer tumors and prognostic significance of each marker and the effect of the interactions macrophage signaling pathway. Highlighting the importance of macrophage-enhanced angiogenic activity of breast cancer cells via MMP-9/IL-10 in such cellular crosstalk, this work offers new considerations to the establishment of more efficient therapeutic strategies, aiming to impair breast cancer invasion and progression.
Keywords: Breast cancer; Macrophage; MMP-9; IL-10
- Duffy MJ, Maguire TM, Hill A, McDermott E, O’Higgins N. Metalloproteinases: role in breast carcinogenesis, invasion and metastasis. Breast Cancer Res 2000;2:252–257. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Stetler-Stevenson WG, Yu AE. Proteases in invasion: matrix metalloproteinases. Semin. Cancer Biol 2001;11:143–152. [PubMed]
- Mosser DM, Edwards JP. Exploring the full spectrum of macrophage activation. Nature Reviews Immunology 2008;8(12):958–969. [PubMed]
- Gordon S, Taylor PR. Monocyte and macrophage heterogeneity. Nature Reviews Immunology 2005;5(12):953–964. [PubMed]
- Stout RD, Watkins SK, Suttles J. Functional plasticity of macrophages: in situ reprogramming of tumor-associated macrophages. J. Leukoc. Biol 2009;86:1105–1109.[Abstract/Full-Text]
- Chen X, Ba Y, Ma L, et al. Characterization of microRNAs in serum: a novel class of biomarkers for diagnosis of cancer and other diseases. Cell Res 2008;18:997–1006. [PubMed]
- Kuehbacher A, Urbich C, Zeiher AM, Dimmeler S. Role of Dicer and Drosha for endothelial microrna expression and angiogenesis. Circ Res 2007;101(1):59–68. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Esquela, Kerscher A, Trang P, Wiggins JF, et al. The let-7 microrna reduces tumor growth in mouse models of lung cancer. Cell Cycle 2008;7(6):759–64. [Abstract/Full-text]
- Ibrahim T, Mercatali L, Amadori D. A new emergency in oncology: bone metastases in breast cancer patients (review). Oncol Lett 2013, 6:306-310.
- Ravnan MPWSL. Metastatic breast cancer: a review of current and novel pharmacotherapy. Formulary 2011, 46:130-146.
- Rabinowits G, Gerçel-Taylor C, Day JM, Taylor DD, Kloecker GH. Exosomal microRNA: a diagnostic marker for lung cancer. Clin Lung Cancer. 2009;10:42–46. [PubMed]
- Barh D, Malhotra R, Ravi B, Sindhurani P. MicroRNA let-7: an emerging next-generation cancer therapeutic. Current Oncology 2010;17:70-80. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Taylor DD, Gercel-Taylor C. MicroRNA signatures of tumor-derived exosomes as diagnostic biomarkers of ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 2008;110:13–21. [PubMed]
- Boyerinas B, Park SM, Hau A, Murmann AE, Peter ME. The role of let-7 in cell differentiation and cancer. Endocr Relat Cancer 2010;17:F19–36. [PubMed]
- Charafe-Jauffret E, Ginestier C, Iovino F, et al. MicroRNA let-7c is downregulated in prostate cancer and suppresses prostate cancer growth. Cancer Res 2009;69:1302. [PubMed]
- Vargo-Gogola T & Rosen JM. Modelling breast cancer: one size does not fit all. Nat Rev Cancer 2007;7:659–672. [PubMed]
- Shi X-B, Tepper CG, deVere White RW. Cancerous miRNAs and their regulation. Cell Cycle 2008;7:1529–1538. [PubMed]
- Parker JS, Mullins M, Cheang MC, et al. Supervised risk predictor of breast cancer based on intrinsic subtypes. J Clin Oncol 2009;27:1160–1167. [PubMed]
- Khramtsov AI1, Khramtsova GF, Tretiakova M, Huo D, Olopade OI, Goss KH. Wnt/beta-catenin pathway activation is enriched in basal-like breast cancers and predicts poor outcome. Am J Pathol 176: 2911–2920. [PubMed]
- Klein T, Bischoff R. Physiology and pathophysiology of matrix metalloproteases. Amino Acids 2011;41:271-290. [PubMed]
- Abraham R, Schafer J, Rothe M, Bange J, Knyazev P, Ullrich A. Identification of MMP-15 as an anti-apoptotic factor in cancer cells. J Biol Chem 2005;280:34123–34132. [PubMed]
- albin M, Fueyo A, Knauper V, et al. Collagenase 2 (MMP-8) expression in murine tissue-remodeling processes. Analysis of its potential role in postpartum involution of the uterus. J Biol Chem 1998;273:23959–23968. [PubMed]
- Chakrabarti S, Patel KD. Matrix metalloproteinase-2 (MMP-2) and MMP-9 in pulmonary pathology. Exp Lung Res 2005;31:599–621. [PubMed]
- Corry DB, Rishi K, Kanellis J, et al. Decreased allergic lung inflammatory cell egression and increased susceptibility to asphyxiation in MMP2-deficiency. Nat Immunol 2002;3:347–353. [PubMed]
Christa Deng, Vitam Verbruggen, Grace Hullmann, Gabriel Tyritzis, John Shimizu. MMP-9-induces macrophages in breast cancer cell via IL-10. Journal of cellular cancer 2014; 6(1):14-25.