Lianghai Zuo1, Jing Wang 2, Feng Xiong1, Jun Hou1*
Baculoviral IAP repeats containing 5 (BIRC5) is negatively encoded proteins regulation and inhibit apoptosis. BIRC5 has been demonstrated to be up-regulation in many types of cancer by unclear mechanism. Our objectives were to assess the incidence and ability of BIRC5 alterations to predict aggressive gastric cancer in a multicenter study. Gene BIRC5 amplification investigated by Multiple x Ligation-dependent Probe Amplification (MLPA) and is accompanied by detailed clinical information with long-term follow-up. In 409 gastric cancers, the overall rate of BIRC5 amplification was 62(15.1%). Significant associations were found between BIRC5 amplification with pathologic stage (P < 0.0021), metastasis (P = 0.002), and worse post-operative recurrence-free survival in young patients (P < 0.0021). Our findings, suggest BIRC5 amplification assay could provide an important additional tool to making treatment decisions and gastric cancer monitor. Future studies will be needed to define BIRC5 singling pathway.
Keywords: BIRC5, Multiple x Ligation-dependent Probe Amplification, Gastric cancer
- Martynowicz H, Medraś M, Andrzejak R. Occupational risk factors and male breast cancer. Medycyna Pracy 2005;56:405-10. [Abstract/Full-Text
- Lambley J, Maguire E, Lam KY. Synchronous bilateral breast cancer in an elderly man. Breast J 2005;11:153. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Forloni F, Giovilli M, Pecis C, et al. Pituitary prolactin-secreting macroadenoma combined with bilateral breast cancer in a 4 5-yearold male. J EndocrinolInvst 2001; 24:454-459. [PubMed]
- Volm MD, Talamonti MS, Thangavelu M, Gradisher WK. Pituitary adenoma and bilateral male breast cancer: an unusual association. J SurgOncol 1997;64:74-78. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Olsson H, Alm P, Kristoffersson U, Landin-Olsson M. Hypophyseal tumor and gynecomastia preceding bilateral breast cancer development in a man. Cancer1984;1974-1977.
- Cutuli B. Strategies in treating male breast cancer. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2007;8:93-202. [PubMed]
- Giordano SH. A review of the diagnosis and management of male breast cancer. Oncol 2005;10:471-479. [PubMed]
- Narod SA, OffitK. Prevention and management of hereditary breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2005;23:1656-1663. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Swerdlow AJ, Schoemaker MJ, Higgins CD, Wright AFand Jacobs PA. Cancer incidence and mortality in men with Klinefelter syndrome: A Cohort study. J Natl Cancer Inst 2005;97:1204-1210. [PubMed]
- Calderon-Garciduenas L, Osnaya N, Rodriguez-Alcaraz A, Villareal-Calderon A. DNA damage in nasal respiratory epithelium from children exposed to urban pollution. Environ. Mol. Mutagen 1997;30:11-20. [PubMed]
- Andreoli C, Leopardi P, Crebelli R. Detection of DNA damage in human lymphocytes by alkaline single cell gel electrophoresis after exposure to benzene or benzene metabolites. Mutat. Res 1997;377:95-104. [PubMed]
- Vodicka P., Tvordik T., and Osterman-Golkar S.: An evaluation of styrene genotoxicity using several biomarkers in a 3-year follow-up study of hand-lamination workers. Mutat. Res.1999; 445: 205-224.
- Zhu CQ., Lam TH., Jiang CQ., Wei BX., Lou X., Liu WW., Lao XQ., and Chen YH. : Lymphocyte DNA damage in cigarette factory workers measured by the Comet Assay. Mutat. Res.1999; 444: 1-6.
- Moller P., Knudsen L.E., Loft S., and Wallin H.: The comet assay as a rapid test in biomonitoring occupational exposure to DNA-damaging agents and effect of confounding factors. Cancer Epidem. Biomar. Prev.2000; 9: 1005-1015.
- NathN.; ChariSN.; and RathiAB.: superoxide dismutase in diabetic polymorphonuclear leukocytes. Diabetes1984; 33:586-589.
- Singh NP, McCoy MT, Tice RR,and Schneider EL: A simple technique for quantitation of low levels of DNA damage in individual cells. Exp Cell Res. 1988; 175: 184–91.
- Chuang CH, and Hu ML (): Use of whole blood directly for single-cell gel electrophoresis (comet) assay in vivo and white blood cells for in vitro assay. Mutat Res. 2004; 564:75–82.
- Hodgson NC, Button JH, Franceschi D, Moffat FL, and Livingstone AS.: Male breast cancer: is the incidence increasing? Ann Surg Oncol.2004; 11:751–5.
- Giordano SH. : A review of the diagnosis and management of male breast cancer. Oncologist2005; 10:471–9.
- Joseph A, Mokbel K.: Male breast cancer. Int J FertilWomensMed.2004; 49:198–9.
- Weiss JR, Moysich KB, and Swede H. : Epidemiology of male breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev.2005; 14:20–6.
- YoneyA.,KucukA., and UnsalM.: Male breast cancer: A retrospective analysis Cancer/Radiothérapie2009;13 :103–107
- BonassiS., NeriM., LandoC., Ceppi aM., Lin b, Wushou P. Chang b, Nina Holland c, Kirsch-Volders d, Zeiger eE., andFenech M.: Effect of smoking habit on the frequency of micronuclei in human lymphocytes: results from the Human MicroNucleus project. Mutat. Res.2003;543:155–166.
- FaustF., KassieF., KnasmüllerS., BoedeckerRH., MannM. and Mersch-SundermannV.: The use of the alkaline comet assay with lymphocytes in human biomonitoring studies. Mutat. Res.2004;566: 209–229.
- SmithTR., MillerMS., LohmanKK., CaseLD., and HuJ.: DNA damage and breast cancer risk. Carcinogenesis2003; 24:883–889.
- DaiQ., ShuX-o., JinF., GaoY-T., RuanZ-X. andZhengW. (): Consumption of animal foods, cooking methods, and risk of breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev.2002; 11: 801–808.
- Kathryn M, Belinda C., and Richard D.: Male breast cancer: Progress, prognosis and future pathways. Asia–Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology2008; 4: 6–17.
- LucenaR., AllamM., CostabeberI., VillarejoM., and NavajasR. (): Breast cancer risk factors: PCB congeners. Eur. J. Cancer Prev.2001; 10: 117–119.
- HuJ., SmithT., MillerM., LohmanK. and CaseL.: Genetic regulation of ionizing radiation sensitivity and breast cancer risk. Environ. Mol. Mutagen.2002; 39: 208–215.
- colleu-Durel S., Guitton N., Nourgalieva K., Legue F., Leveˆque J., Danic B., and Chenal C. : Alkaline single-cell gel electrophoresis (Comet assay): a simple technique to show genomic instability in sporadic breast cancer. Eur J Cancer2004;40: 445–451.
- hussen MM., McNulty H., Armstrong N., Johnston PG., Spence R., and Barnett Y.: Investigation of systemic folate status, impact of alcohol intake and levels of DNA damage in mononuclear cells of breast cancer patients. Br J Cancer2005;92: 1524–1530.
- SigurdsonA., Hauptmann M., Alexander B., Doody M., Thomas C., J.P., and JonesI.: DNA damage among thyroidcancer and multiple cancer cases, controls, and long-lived individuals. Mutat. Res.2005;586: 173-188.
- Schabath M., Spitz M., GrossmannH., ZhangK., Dinney C., ZhengD., and Wu X.: Genetic instability in bladder cancer assessed by the comet assay. J. Natl. Cancer Inst.2003;95: 540-547
- LiD., WangM., DhingraK., and Hittelman,W. : Aromatic DNA adducts in adjacent tissues of breast cancer patients: clues to breast cancer etiology. Cancer Res.1996;56:287–293.
- LiD., ZhangW., SahinA., and HittelmanN. : DNA adducts in normal tissue adjacent to breast cancer: a review. Cancer Detect. Prev.1999;23: 454–462.
- LiD., ZhangW., ZhuJ., ChangP., SahinA., SingletaryE., BondyM., HazraT., MitraS., Lau.S., ShenJ. and DiGiovanniJ. : Oxidative DNA damage and 8-hydroxy-2-deoxyguanosine DNA glycosylase/apuriniclyase in human breast cancer. Mol. Carcinogen.2001;31:214–223.
- MusarratJ., Arezina-WilsonJ. and WaniA. :Prognostic and aetiological relevance of 8-hydroxyguanosine in human breast carcinogenesis. Eur. J. Cancer1996;32A:1209–1214.
- MalinsD.C. and HaimanotR. : Major alterations in the nucleotide structure of DNA in cancer of the female breast. Cancer Res.1991;51:5430–5432.
- RundleA., TangD., HibshooshH., EstabrookA., SchnabelF., CaoW., Grumet S. and PereraP.: The relationship between genetic damage from polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in breast tissue and breast cancer. Carcinogenesis2000;21:1281–1289.
- BerwickM; and VinesisP.: Markers of DNA repair and susceptibility to cancer in human: an epidemiologic review. J.Natl.Cancer Int.2000; 92:874-97.
- BenhamouS.; and SarasinA. : Variability in nucleotide excision repair and cancer risk: a review. Mutat. Res.2000;462-58.
- PaulH.; RaymondR.; ChrisJ., SarahJM.; JoyS.; BrigitteHE.; JohnM.; and JeanH.: Application of single-cell gel electrophoresis (comet) assay for assessing level of DNA damage in canine and feline leukocytes. J.Nutr.2002; 132:1598S-1603S.
- AliceS.; MichaelH., BruceH., MicheleM., CynthiaB., JefferyP., and IreneM. : DNA damage among thyroid cancer and multiple cancer cases, control, and long-lived individuals. Mutation Research2005;586:173-188.
- PopandaO., Ebbeler R., TwardellaD., Helmbold I., Gotzes F., Schmezer P., ThielmannH.W., von Fournier D., Haase W., Sautter-Bihl ML., Wenz F., and Bartsch H. : Chang-Claude, J.: Radiation-induced DNA damage and repair in lymphocytes from breast cancer patients and their correlation with acute skin reactions to radiotherapy. Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys.2003;55; 1216-1225.
- Wu X., Zhao H., Wie Q., Amos CI., Zhang K., Guo Z., Qiao Y., Hong WK., and SpitzMR.: XPA polymorphism associated with reduced lung cancer risk and a modulating effect on nucleotide excision repair capacity. Carcinogenesis2003; 24: 505-509.
- Udumudi A., Jaiswal M., Rajeswari N., Desai N., Jain S., Balakrishna N., RaoKV.,andAhuja YR.: Risk assessment in cervical dysplasia patients by single cell gel electrophoresis assay: a study of DNA damage and repair. Mutat. Res.1998;412: 195-205
- Ülkü Ü., Tevfik Ş., Osman Y.,Hasan B., Osman K.,Ferit T.,andNurşen B.: Assessment of DNA Damage in PeripheralBlood Lymphocytes From Patients with Benign and Malignant Thyroid Disorders.Hacettepe University Journal of the Faculty of Pharmacy.2008;28 : 1-14.
- Iarmarcovai G., Sari-Minodier I., Chaspoul F., Botta C., De Méo M., Orsière T., Bergé-Lefranc JL., GalliceP. and BottaA.: Risk assessment of welders using analysis of eight metals by ICP-MS in blood and urine and DNA damage evaluation by the comet and micronucleus assays; influence of XRCC1 and XRCC3 polymorphisms.Mutagenesis2005;20(6):425-432.
- Kristin L. Lockett , M.Craig H. , Peter E., Shu-Chun C. , Brittany R. , Hui-Yi L., Joseph Su L., and Jennifer J. :DNA damage levels in prostate cancer cases and controls Carcinogenesis 2006;27(6):1187-1193.
- Gorlewska-RobertsK., GreenB., FaresM., AmbrosoneCB. andKadlubarF.: Carcinogen-DNA adducts in human breast epithelial cells. Environ. Mol. Mutagen.2002; 39:184–192.
READ THE FULL ARTICLE
1. Access this article through your login credentials or your institution
2. Access this article through OpenAthens/Sign in
3. Purchase this article at rate $55.00 and received Full-Text/PDF
You will have online immediate access to article following the completion of this purchase and you may download and print a copy of each article for your personal use. Use the coding below to purchase your article as PDF by credit card, debit card, payball will be asked to supply your billing card information. Before continue with your purchase please read carefully BM–Publisher terms and conditions of purchase.
For any technique error please contact us and will be response to sending purchase article by email.
Thank you for visiting Pathophysiology of Cell Injury Journal. * = Required fields[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]