Khalida K. Abbas Al-Kelaby1*, Samer A. Hasan2, Jawad K. Abbas3
Many efforts have focused on the therapeutic approach of cancer for a long time by studying of cytotoxic activities of plant constituents. This study was planned to evaluate cytotoxicity of nitrochalcone derivative (NCD) on rhabdomyosarcoma cell line (RMS) as compared with methotrexate (MTX) and Doxorubicin (DOX), then assessment of monoterpene (MT1) combination with NCD. The results of current study were showed that NCD was effectively inhibited the cell proliferation by decreasing the viability of RMS cells at different concentrations involved 0.5, 2.5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 μg/ml with IC50 of 2.117μg/ml, while DOX and MTX IC50 values were 0.553μg/ml and 0.8708μg/ml respectively. This study was also revealed combined effect of NCD with MT1 (IC50 = 2.0667). We concluded that NCD have an anticancer effect that can be modulated by monoterpenes.
Keywords: Nitrochalcone derivative; Cytotoxicity assay; RMS cell line
- Dagher R, Helman L. Rhabdomyosarcoma: an overview. Oncologist 1999;4:34-44. [PubMed]
- Al-Hadad SA, Al-Jadiry MF, Al-Darraji AF, Al-Saeed RM, Al-Badr SF, Ghali HH. Reality of pediatric cancer in Iraq. J. Pediatr .Hematol. Oncology 2011;33:S154-S156. [PubMed]
- Al-Niaimi A. Oral malignant lesions in a sample of patients in the north of Iraq (Retrospective study). Al-Rafidain Dent. J 2006;6(2):176-180. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Khalil I, Al-Kzayer L, Sahar K. Non CNS pediatric malignancies in Mosul. Annals of the College of Medicine in Mosul 2010;36:86-9. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Nadham K, Maysloon A, Genan K. Microsporidiosis among children with malignant diseases in Basrah, Iraq. M.J.B.U 2007;25(1):1-6.
- AL-Asady AAB, Ahmed NY and Mustafa TA. Cytotoxic and cytogenetic effects of aqueous and methanol crude extracts of Nicotiana tabacum on Rhabdomyosarcoma (RD) and L20B cell lines in vitro. European Journal of Experimental Biology 2014;4(2):164-171. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Rackova L, Firakova S, Kostalova D, Stefek M, Sturdik E, Majekova M. Oxidation of liposomal membrane suppressed by flavonoids: Quantitative structure-activity relationship. Bioorg. Med. Chem 2005;13:6477-6484.
- Harborne JB, Williams CA. Advances in flavonoid research since 1992. Phytochemistry 2000;55:481-504. [PubMed]
- Mahapatra DK, Asati V, Bharti SK. Chalcones and their therapeutic targets for the management of diabetes: Structural and pharmacological perspectives. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 20159;2:839-865. [PubMed]
- Mahapatra DK, Bharti SK, Asati V. Anti-cancer chalcones: Structural and molecular target perspectives. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 2015;98:69-114. [PubMed]
- Mahapatra DK, Bharti SK, Asati AV. Chalcone scaffolds as anti-infective agents: Structural and molecular target perspectives. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 2015;101:496-524. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Mahapatra DK, Bharti SK. Therapeutic potential of chalcones as cardiovascular agents. Life Sciences 2016;148:154-172. [PubMed]
- Larsson R, Nygren P.A. Rapid Fluorometric Method for Semiautomated Determination of Cyto-Toxicity and Cellular Proliferation of Human-Tumor Cell-Lines in Microculture. Anticancer Res 1989;9:1111-1119. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Lindhagen E, Nygren P, Larsson R. The fluorometric microculture cytotoxicity assay. Nat. Protoc 2008;1364-1369. [PubMed]
- Hadfield JA, Ducki S, Hirst N, McGown AT. Progress in Cell Cycle Research. Editions Life in Progress: New York. 2003;5:309-325.
- Peyrot V, Leynadier D, Sarrazin M, et al. Mechanism of Binding of the New Antimitotic Drug Mdl-27048 to the Colchicine Site of Tubulin – Equilibrium Studies. Biochemistry 1992;31:11125-11132.
- Dyrager C . Design and Synthesis of Chalcone and Chromone Derivatives as Novel Anticancer Agents. Doctoral thesis submitted to the department of Gothenburge, Sweden, for fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry. 2012.
- Crowell PL. Prevention and Therapy of Cancer by Dietary Monoterpenes. J Nutr 1999;129:775S-778S. [PubMed]
- Farhang HR, Vahabi MR, Allafchian AR. Chemical compositions of the essential oil of Gundelia tournefortii L. Journal of Herbal Drugs 2016;6(4): 227-233.
- Sylvester PW. Optimization of the Tetrazolium Dye (MTT) Colorimetric Assay for Cellular Growth and Viability. Drug Design and Discovery Methods in Molecular Biology 2011;716:157-168. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Wang H, Wang F, Tao X, Cheng H. Ammonia containing dimethyl sulfoxide: An improved solvent for the dissolution of formazan crystals in the 3-(4,5- dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyl tetrazolium bromide (MTT) assay. Analytical Biochemistry 2012;421:324-326. [PubMed]
- Li Y, Huang W, Huang S, Du J, Huang C. Screening of anti-cancer agent using zebrafish: Comparison with the MTT assay. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 2012;422:85-90.
- Rezaei A, Taghipour LNM. The use of ANFIS and RBF to model andpredict the inhibitory concentration values determined by MTT assay on cancer cell lines. I.J. Information Technology and Computer Science 2016;4:28-34. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Hohl RJ. Monoterpenes as regulators of malignant cell proliferation. In: American Institute for Cancer Research. Dietary Phytochemicals in Cancer Prevention and Treatment. New York: Plenum Press;1996.
- Kumaraswamy T, Suman D, Anusha V, Prathima PP, Samhitha TA. A review on Chalcones and its importance. PharmaTutor 2013;1(2):54-59.
- Morse MA, Stoner GD. Cancer chemoprevention: principles and prospects. Carcinogenesis 1993;14:1737-1746. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Haag JD, Gould MN. Mammary carcinoma regression induced by perillyl alcohol, a hydroxylated analog of limonene. Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol 1994;34:477-483. [PubMed]
- Lindhagen E, Nygren P, Larsson R, The fluorometric microculture cytotoxicity assay. Nat. Protoc 2008;3:1364-1369. [PubMed]
- Magyarosy A, Ho JZ, Rapoport H, Dawson S, Hancock J and Keasling JD. Chlorxanthomycin, a Fluorescent, Chlorinated, Pentacyclic Pyrene from a Bacillus. sp. Appl. Environ. Microbiol 2002;68(8):4095-4101. [PubMed]
- Hasan SA, Elias AN, Jwaie AH, Khuodaer AR and Hussain SA. Synthesis of new fluorinated chalcone derivative with anti-inflammatory activity. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2012;4:430-434. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Reddy LSS, Raju MB, Sridhar C. Novel Pyrazolines: Synthesis and evaluation of their derivatives with anticancer and anti-inflammatory activities. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2016;8(1).
- Osman AMM, Bayoumi HM, Al-Harthi SE, Damanhouri ZA and ElShal MF. Modulation of doxorubicin cytotoxicity by resveratrol in a human breast cancer cell line. Cancer Cell International 2012;12:47. [PubMed]
- Melguizo C, Prados J, Rama AR, et al. Multidrug resistance and rhabdomyosarcoma (Review). Oncology Reports 2011;26:755-761.
READ THE FULL ARTICLE
1. Access this article through OpenAthens
2. Access this article through your login credentials or your institution
3. Purchase this article at rate $55.00 and received Full-Text/PDF
You will have online immediate access to article following the completion of this purchase and you may download and print a copy of each article for your personal use. Use the coding below to purchase your article as PDF by credit card, debit card, PayPal will be asked to supply your billing card information. Before continue with your purchase please read carefully BM–Publisher terms and conditions of purchase.
For any technique error please contact us and will be response to sending purchase article by email.
Thank you for visiting Journal of Cellular Cancer. * = Required fields